November 03, 2007

I (almost) have an iPhone

After talking with several friends and coworkers, and reading blogs like this one, I decided to get an iPhone.

I really enjoy using our iPods. We have a 5.5G Classic and a Nano. The interface is easy, sound is great. We listen to our music (after importing most of our CD collection into iTunes, which was soooo easy to do) and podcasts.

I've had a Treo 680 for almost a year now. It's a great device. Phone calls are not overly complex despite being a "smart phone" (I know many Windows Mobile users who have to battle their phones to do basic things). It has decent browsing and email. It can play video and music, but those are not it's strong points.

So with the iPhone, I'm able to get the best of both worlds into one device- playing music & podcasts (iPod) and phone/email/web (Treo).

Plus I'll get to use features from both devices that I hadn't before. Now with the nice screen of the iPhone, I'll put some photos on it. And I'll probably watch more video as well.

By the way, another great product, Beyond TV, was just updated to export recorded TV shows in an iTunes compatible format. Great timing.

The web browser on the Treo is adequate. It did the job, although usually not very aesthetically. Sometimes pages get cut off or squeezed to fit the display. The way the iPhone handles it is just brilliant. Zoom in, Zoom out. But it's always showing you the "real" web page, not a processed version of it.

Well, all of this is just dreaming right now. I've had my iPhone for over a day now, but can't use it because activations aren't working.

Last night when I tried, I got this message:
iPhone activations are unavailable at this time. iPhone activations are temporarily unavailable due to routine AT&T maintenance. Please disconnect your iPhone and reconnect it after 3pm EST to begin again. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Today I get a similar message, but this time without a time or date indicating when it will be working.

This message thread on Apple Support just about sums up what I've been going through. I guess I'll keep trying. What a bummer.

No comments: