June 17, 2006

Why do backups?

Backups are a pain to do. I have Acronis True Image. Every month I boot from a CD created by True Image and back up our two home PCs to external USB drives. It takes hours to run, but it's worth it.

Yesterday we accidentally deleted some important photo files, and Acronis was put to the test. I mounted the backed up image as a drive, and got back the files I needed. Didn't have to run a full restore or anything complicated.

We have thousands of photos of vacations, family, scenery, etc. I'd hate to lose all of that. That's why I do backups.

But being able to quickly retrieve a file from a backup is incredibly valuable. I always thought of backups as being something you never (hopefully) have to use. I have bad memories of flaky tape drives that took forever to restore from. True Image has certainly made my impression of backups alot brighter.

No comments: