June 17, 2006

Seagate 100GB USB

I carry a home-built USB/FW drive for extra storage. It's fast, but bulky. I also have a 1 GB SanDisk Cruiser, which I highly recommend. But it's not big enough to hold the kinds of work files I'm dealing with these days. I need something somewhere between the two.

My choice: a Seagate Portable HD. It's USB2, powered by USB so no extra power supply to lug around. It's smaller than my clunky FW drive. I would have gone with the Western Digital Passport drive, but the local Best Buy had the Seagate at 100GB and the WD's were 40 and 60's.

The Seagate comes with a double-headed USB cable, which is supposedly required on older PCs that don't have enough power on a single cable. So far I haven't needed it. The speed is good and it's pretty quiet.

I'd recommend the Seagate, but check out the Western Digital- it's smaller.

No comments: