August 13, 2006

Loving Life with Beyond TV

After almost six months, I'm still loving Beyond TV. Who needs Tivo if you have a PC with big hard drive and a TV Tuner card?

I record all my favorite shows automatically. Some shows I record every episode that airs on any channel, some only new episodes. Or I'll spot a movie I want and record that- if it's already started, Beyond TV can find it airing again in the next 30 days.

Just like people I know who have Tivos, I no longer just channel surf. I now run Beyond TV and watch any one of my favorite shows, each of which has several episodes recorded. It's kinda like podcasts. You can watch the latest episode of TWiT, or re-watch the "What is a Podcast" episode of Ask A Ninja.

Even with a reasonably big HD, space can run low. At the compression level I've chosen, an hour show takes 2 gigabytes. Like Tivo and other PVRs, Beyond TV has auto-delete rules like "delete when I'm runing out of space" and "manually delete only."

I've also discovered some other features I'm just tapping into. It has an option to auto-convert recorded shows to a more compressed format like WMV or DivX so you can take them with you on a notebook or watch over your WiFi network.

I've also noticed that Beyond TV has a built-in web server that lets you browse and watch recorded shows from another PC. The other alternatives would be to just share the folder that contains your recorded shows, or buy an additional Beyond TV client app designed to work over a network. I may do that anyway- the interface is really nice and easy to read from a distance.

Great app. I hope they keep it around and don't get sued like some of the PVR companies have recently.

No comments: