August 19, 2006

In Defense of Dell

Something about the general press and public is people who like to see a successful person or company fail.

I've been a Dell user for years, and have had great experience with their products. I've had Dell notebooks forever, from the 7500 (Pentium II), 8200 (Pentium 4) and now 9300 (Pentium M).

I've also had a Dell DJ, but switched to the iPod recently. Not because it's better, but to get features like photo and video.

Dell always has great prices for their products. Their specials are drool-worthy. But you have to know how to work their site because similar models are available in the Home, Small Business, etc. sections and you may be able to get more memory or a free monitor with a PC in one area for the same PC being sold for full price in another. Then there's the Dell Outlet where you can get refurbished models at even bigger discounts. I've purchased my notebooks this way, and also got PCs for my parents at great prices.

I've also had great experience with their customer service. In one case I ordered a docking station that came with the wrong power supply for my model and they shipped me a new one for free. I was also able to order an upgrade graphics card for my 8200, something you can't normally do for a notebook.

I know there are people who have Dell horror stories, but every company has problems. I'm sure you'll find equal numbers of both horror and happy stories for HP, Sony, Apple, etc. I've been lucky so far, but I don't expect to not have any problems. It just depends on whether you get a defective model, or who answers your call.

Ironically people are saying that Dell's "failure" with the battery recall is making way for competitors like HP to succeed. It wasn't too long ago that everyone was shining the spotlight on HP for their "failed" HP-Compaq merger, saying they wouldn't last long.

People like to watch successes turn to failures. It's a sort of morbid curiosity similar to slowing down to watch a car accident, or following celebrities who make public blunders. I try to stay focused on good news, myself.

No comments: