March 12, 2006

Panasonic DMC LX1


I've been holding out for an 8 megapixel camera to replace my 3.1 mp Niking Coolpix 885. The 885 has been my trusty camera for a few years now, and I'd be incline to keep it a little longer. But I was keeping my eyes open for a cool 8 mp just in case... And one did.

This is not just a standard point and shoot either. It's pretty unique in that it's CCD is actually 16:9, and it crops the image to achieve 4:3 or 3:2 aspects. Most cameras are the other way around, so you lose resolution if you want to get a panoramic shot. This one is designed for panoramic. (Note: If you do select 3:2 or 4:3 you are getting 7MP not 8.)


It has both manual settings and tons of presets including indoor, fireworks, sports, night sky, etc. There are also settings for Apeture Priority and Shutter Priority.

The size is not too big-- somewhere between the Canon and Casio point-and-shoots and a DSLR. The battery is supposed to last 3-4 hours, which is great.


Here's a good review:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/lx1.html

No comments: