March 26, 2006

My Yahoo

I've started using My Yahoo as a general contact/info tool. I'm reluctant to use my yahoo email so I don't start attracting huge amounts of spam, which I get on my Hotmail account.

Yahoo has great sync features. I imported everything from my Palm, imported bookmarks from IE, and was able to combine contact lists I've had in separate places. You can export everything too, so you don't feel locked in.

The My Yahoo home page is pretty well layed out. The graphics could be better but it loads fast. I have TV listings, movies, weather reports, plus my favorite RSS feeds from Digg, Techbargains, etc.

I use the Calendar feature alot, for both personal and business schedules. That way I can keep them from conflicting with each other. The calendar is connected to a Tasks List, so you can give things deadlines that show up on the calendar.

I know many people are gaga over anything Google. Some of their stuff is impressive, but the appearance leaves ALOT to be desired. Not that it's sparse- that's what I like about Yahoo versus, say, MSN. It's just really awkward. It's not designed at all. Yahoo got the right combination of form and function.

No comments: