February 05, 2005

PalmOne Zire 72


I have the Palm Zire 72 PDA.

Cool features
  • Decent screen (320x320)
  • Bluetooth - Works great for HotSync and Internet Sharing w/your PC.
  • All the great PalmOS apps - I love the Calendar, Todo List, Memos, etc. Very elegant and extremely useful.
  • MP3 Player - Requires an expansion card. Pretty basic functionality-- this ain't no iPod.
  • Camera - A mere 1.2 mpixel. But it's cool that you can associate pics with your contacts.
  • Email and Web apps - Very functional. Email supports POP3 and IMAP. Browser mostly works except w/frames.
  • Documents to Go - Nice but you have to be careful about sync'ing the wrong direction and losing updates.
  • World Clock - Useful when traveling.
  • Phone Link - Worked with my Nokia 6610. I can dial numbers from the phone book and log on the Net via T-Mobile GPRS.

My only complaints are that the battery runs out pretty quick and the blue paint scratches off easily. Palm dealt with the paint issue by coming out with a silver "special edition" Zire 72.

I also picked up the WiFi SD Card. Works great at home, office, airports, Starbucks. I only wish T-Mobile would support WEP or some other login method than filling out a web form (which is painful with a stylus).