February 21, 2005

Nokia 6610

The Nokia 6610 is quite an unremarkable phone compared to the smart-camera-hybrid phones you see alot of these days. Which makes it such a great choice since it does such a good job of being a phone. You can make & answer calls, check messages and even peek at emails without being overwhelmed by an unweildy, clunky device (which is how I see most of the modern smart phones).

It's tri-band GSM, has a color screen and decent battery life. It can go online via GPRS, which is okay but not fast. I've checked email on both my laptop and handheld. The bandwidth is just barely adequate to send and receive basic messages.

It has a nice form factor- slender and efficient. No wasted space or fashionable curves. I really like the interface for dialing, contacts, etc. It's very easy to use, even with one hand. And it's got a speakerphone feature too!

But like all good but unexciting products, the 6610 is old and is no longer available from most phone providers. I had to go to Ebay to find a new faceplate after cracking the original.

If you can get one, I highly recommend it. I'll keep using mine until I can find a new phone with as much usability plus better features (like faster data speed & bluetooth).

I've got my eye on the Palm Treo. I would have gotten one if they had shipped when they said it would originally. I waited month after month, then gave up and got my 6610 on a year's contract.