September 08, 2009

Macbook Pro NVidia 8600 Defect

I thought I'd escaped this, but it finally caught up with me. My Macbook Pro has an NVidia 8600GT and as we found out last year, most if not all of these chips have a defect that can cause it to no longer be functional.

The good news is that Apple's policy is to fix the problem for free even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

I took it to my local Apple Store. They ran a test on it in the back to confirm it was indeed the NVidia problem. I signed some paperwork and off it went.

I'm number two in the queue.

That was Sunday August 30. It's now September 8th and still no word other than "On hold - Part on order" when I check my repair status. I've read accounts claiming repairs taking from just several hours to a few days. One said two weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mine's "On hold - Part on order (28-Sep-2009)"

:(

Did you get your back yet?